Top Social Media Platforms for Your Business in 2024
9 Minute Read
It’s almost 2024—if your business’s social media isn’t on point, what are you even doing with your life? While the hierarchy of social media platforms has seen some minor shifts, the underlying needs they cater to remain constant. So, where are the masses spending their time this year?
As we step into 2024, the relevance of choosing the right social media platforms for your business cannot be overstated. A fitting platform not only enhances your business’s visibility but also magnifies your engagement with the target audience.
You know we are big proponents that you Know What You Don’t Know. Well, here’s another opportunity. Learn what you are missing out on with your current social media strategy. Identify the ideal places to invest your time and resources and where your business needs to show up in 2024.
Grab a seat because class is in session. Here’s the 411 on the top social media platforms for your business from the gurus at Twelve Three Media. Yeah, you’re welcome.
What Are the Essential Social Media Platforms for Marketing Your Business in 2024?
First order of business? Pinpoint your stomping ground. If you’re not posting content where your audience hangs out, how do you expect them to know your name? Of course, different platforms have different offerings. Here are the essential spots for your business to fraternize with potential clients:
Yes. It is boomer central—but let’s face it, everyone is on here! The empire ain’t crumbling just yet, so use it to your advantage. Facebook is still getting a ton of engagement, so you definitely need to have a presence. Plus, there are big opportunities for targeting specific audiences with customized content.
Of course, this is the place your grandma goes to find out about your new job. So, don’t expect to engage with “the youth” as much as with people who still use Yelp.
However, Facebook remains an indomitable leader, with over 3 billion monthly active users as of 2023. While it is no longer the top dog for engagement and general consumption, it is still at the top of the list for business authority, customer service, visibility, brand awareness, community building, and more.
It’s where your food looks more delicious, your selfie angles are flawless, and your vacations seem to always go off without a hitch. This is millennial nirvana. Insta’s got memes, vertical video, terrific engagement, and…everything from TikTok—just 2 weeks later (might as well be 2 years, ya know what I’m sayin’?).
Instagram continues to dominate the visual-centric social media scene. It boasts 1.3 billion users worldwide as of 2022, with more than 70.8% being under 35. If your business thrives on visual storytelling, this is the platform to be on.
The Gram is the place to make and keep friends. Here, your business gets to be less worky and more funtime. Utilizing static imagery as well as video, you can show your audience your brand personality, partner with influencers, and interact with users via Stories and Reels.
Now, we do have to point out—the Meta-universe owns Instagram. Therefore, it keeps stealing things that are successful on other platforms…but we don’t hate those here. Though it’s always gonna be a step behind TikTok!
If you’re not on TikTok, do you even exist? This isn’t just Gen Z’s ride-or-die (25% of U.S. users are 10-19 years of age, and 47.4% are under 30). It is a huge opportunity for brands to be the creators of custom content. Don’t just jump on trends—set them. Its short, engaging video format and powerful algorithm make it the go-to platform for viral content and trendsetting.
Though many imitate it (ahem…Reels), TikTok is its own being. Therefore, you’re going to need a strategy that is specifically focused on short-form video. Depending on where your audience is, you may want to invest some extra time and money into this. This is how the masses see you. Scratch that—this is the place to show the masses the “you” you want them to see.
And though some may believe that the platform is just China spying on our youth, it is also a great way to research a variety of topics (it’s giving “cool” YouTube).
LinkedIn is a terrific B2B platform, great for professional networking and collaboration, boasting 950 million members and 63 million company listings. Though you will definitely find users humble-bragging about their “synergistic team dynamics” and “thought leadership” without gagging, it is more than just a place to showcase your business acumen.
Yes, everyone is patting their own back on here, but they are also supporting each other and their brand. Employee advocacy is a powerful and lasting form of promotion for your company. A business backed by its staff, who can be found freely engaging with one another on public platforms—well, that’s giving some major BDE.
Think Google, but for videos. Not even kidding. Nobody needs to toot YouTube’s horn. It knows. But c’mon! It is the second-largest search engine in the world. And that’s not even its purpose!
Video is king, and YouTube continues to be the dominant platform for video publishing and consumption. 2 billion users with an average of 70 billion views per day of tutorials, educational videos, product reviews, behind-the-scenes footage, you name it. Its influence cannot be understated—and it’s still growing.
Wondering why we haven’t mentioned Twit-…X? Well, probably because it’s still trying to figure itself out. With reports of a monthly subscription for any and all users to even be on the platform, it seems there’s a lot up in the air. There’s also potential for more of a decline in traffic, especially with Threads looming about. Until this mid-teens crisis is resolved, your valuable time and money may be better spent elsewhere.
Where Is Your Time & Money Best Spent?
People are bouncing around from app to app at multiple points throughout their day, so there are most likely opportunities across the board when it comes to getting in front of your audience. However, if you’re running around like a headless chicken, you’re doing it wrong.
Spend effectively and efficiently. Target where your audience hangs out the most. Wherever they spend most of their time, that is your best bet to put your resources.
Facebook is a treasure trove when it comes to audience and targeting. There is the option to run ads on many placements, including Messenger and Instagram. This is where you nurture existing relationships while identifying new opportunities to reach a greater audience.
TikTok? Oh, it’s not just about viral dances; it’s where attention spans go to thrive. Having a presence here is a chance to keep an audience’s attention for looooooong periods of time. LONG.
Creating Killer Content for Social Media Channels
It’s crucial to know which content shines on which platform. Tailor your content, make your brand beam, and ensure your audience is as hooked as a cat watching a laser pointer.
Did we mention that video is king? Because it is. Video is huge across all social channels right now, especially short-form, vertical video on TikTok and Reels (both FB & IG). But TikTok and YouTube are definitely your go-to platforms if you’re trying to be the Spielberg of social media.
Still Got Love for the Snapshot
We’re still seeing platforms such as Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn prioritize static imagery. So, make sure your static images play a role in your social strategy.
Keep it real, or keep it moving. Especially on Instagram and Facebook—raw beats polish. Keep the look and feel authentic, as opposed to overly polished. We identify with what we recognize, and that style of content is precisely what we see performing the best.
3 Tips for Those Who Like It Easy
If you’re finding yourself overwhelmed, here are a few quick tips to bolster your content plan.
- Your Strategy Is of Supreme Importance: Build out a content strategy that aligns with your brand, goals, and objectives. Put in the time, effort, and money. This is your social mission statement.
- Consistency Is Key: Establish a look & feel and posting cadence that is consistent and recognizable. No one should be confused about who you are.
- Listen to Your Audience…No! Seriously, Stop Talking & Listen!: Your audience talks. You better listen if you know what’s good for you. This is all for and about them, isn’t it? What do they like? What problems do they have? Use what you learn to create content for them and expand your offerings.
So there. That’s the quick and easy version. However, this isn’t going to be quick or easy. If you really want to create a solid strategy, put in the work and make it count—see the 12 steps below.
12 Steps to a Stunningly Successful Social Media Strategy
- What’s Your First Step? Come to Twelve Three Media, of course. Duh. Get some help from the professionals.
- What Are You Trying to Accomplish? More sales, brand awareness, or just more likes for your ego? Define your goals and objectives. If you’re not sure what you’re trying to achieve, it will show in your content.
- Why Social? How will TikTok help you accomplish your goals? Figure it out.
- Know Thy Customer. Got It? Locate your homies. Know where your audience hangs out. Seriously. Understanding your existing customers, their behaviors, and where there’s potential for growth is intrinsic to developing your social media strategy and identifying the platforms you want to focus on.
- Lay the Groundwork: Do your research. What drives your audience to engage? To act? What do they care about? Learn what your audience loves and hates and what makes them hit “Share.” Now—how does your brand fit?
- Craft Your Game Plan: Don’t mess it up. Your content strategy should align with your brand messaging, focus on consistency, and build the framework for how you’ll approach content development moving forward.
- Carve Out the Look & Feel of Your Brand: What will your brand look like on social media? If your brand was a person, would it be the life of the party or the wallflower? Choose.
- Hone the Voice & Tone of Your Brand: How will your brand communicate? Are you the sarcastic friend or the wise elder? Be consistent.
- What Are They Even For?! Establish the role and purpose of each platform. For example, LinkedIn is for chest-thumping; Instagram is for showing off your fun side. There can be overlap for sure, but understanding what each platform means to your brand will help guide content creation. Make sense?
- How Will You Measure Success? What KPIs should you hit? What are your benchmarks? Set goals and track them!
- Always Know What’s Trending—and what can that do for your content. Keep an eye out for new trends that align with your brand for content creation opportunities.
- What’s Working? Do That: Fine-tune your content strategy as you learn more and more about your audience. Assess your analytics each month and allow that to pivot the content you create. If it performs well with your audience, make more of it.
Forget Solo Acts—Join the Dream Team Instead
Choosing the right social media platforms for your business is critical to your digital marketing success. Each platform has its unique attributes, strengths, and demographics. With a balanced approach and targeted strategy, your business can shine brightly in the ever-expanding universe of social media.
Had enough of trial and error? Ready to activate boss mode? Let Twelve Three Media take the wheel. We specialize in crafting custom-tailored social media strategies that resonate with your brand and your audience.
The social media world waits for no one. It is a vast and complex landscape, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Let the social media experts at Twelve Three Media take the reins. Contact us today, and let’s get building.